Ancient gadgets (1)

I had my first gadget back in the late 80s. It could not be compared to what gadgets today are, BUT it does most of my PIM and daily typing work a lot easier. IT could only at best, be described as a calculator.
The Sharp Wizard has only 64kb of RAM for data storage, I only managed keep up to 3,200 telephone numbers and two whole years of schedule appointments before I need to throw out old archives in order to continue storing new entries.
There were expansion RAM cards for extra (removable) storage, BUT they cost a bomb those days. They also have dictionary cards on RAM, Financial management programs and Task lists databases . The Sharp Wizard sports a simple grid-based TOUCH-SCREEN (oh yes, no kidding) for accessing function commands on the RAM program cards.
I even have a dot-matrix thermal printer to link up with the wizard, and print out my address details in case someone needs them. Basically, all the info inside this wizard could be printed.
Today, this whole batch of vintage PDA plus accessories may be out of date, BUT I still have them handy on my workdesk. Yes, all of them still work fine. Whenever I need to do some calculations, I only need to press one button, and the calculator is on instantly. Any amount of calculations could be printed onto the paper roll, just like a supermarket's cashier register. It's also a thesaurus and chinese-english dictionary with instant searching facility. Well, I paid quite a sum for the whole lot back then, amounting to a handsome 1k of old Malaysian money. This lot still fetches 1k of today's money on a online auction as a vintage collection.

Comments