In search of an OLD FRIEND

Did TIME pass by too quitely or have I grown too old and INSENSITIVE to NOT notice, that birthday cakes aren't the same anymore.

I remember we used to have BUTTER cakes topped with butter cream to celebrate our birthdays.

Nowadays, people don't have that much strength in their jaws, that soft, spongy cakes topped with fresh cream became the norm.

It was until bro Asneoh who brought along a BUTTER CAKE to celebrate Alitstar's (and his own) birthday at the BM2 meet, that brought back memories of an episode about butter cakes.

Those days, a BUTTER cake for birthday celebration was worth a bomb.

You have to take a bus to town in order to get one.

One beautiful morning in the year 1975, I was sitting in a ToongFong bus, going home with my groceries from the Pudu market. The bus was packed with people, and I was lucky to have a seat. A lady was standing beside me, groceries in one hand, a cake-in-box in the other. I could not offer my set to her as I have a whole lot of groceries on my lap. The lady was exercising her 'Wing-Chun' stance to keep her balance as the bus moved.

When she find that she couldn't counter the undulations of a moving bus, she asked if I could hold her cake box for her, so that she have one hand free to grab the handrail.

I allowed the lady to leave the box on my lap, on top of my groceries.
Everything was going fine when the bus suddenly took a sharp turn, and the lady , in an attempt to avoid falling, hung on hard to the handrail, BUT, the sudden turn made her body twist around her pivoting grip, and she sat squarely onto my lap...er,...the cake box, to be exact.



Comments