Why I don't patronise Shell and Petronas

Why I don't use Shell and Petronas. A friend previously inquire about what brand of fuel I run my car on. In Malaysia we do not have much choices. Although there are about 5 main brands, all of them rely on only two refinery companies here. They buy the extracted fuel from either of the two refineries and later add in their version of additives, sell off under their own brand. Now, gas for private cars come in only two different octane levels, 95 and 97. The difference in pricing of the two is a whopping 30%, hence majority of Malaysian drivers opt for the cheaper RON95. I believe petrol companies don't just sell something cheaper for no reason. The propagated belief is that our Bad-Notorious federal government subsidised more public funds into RON95 than RON97. When RON95 was initially introduced to replace the RON92, most of the fuel stations did away with their RON97 pumps, focusing only on the RON95 users. I being more comfortable using RON97 always have a hard time looking for station selling the higher priced fuel. Of all the 5 companies, only Exxon continued to provide equal number of RON95 and RON97 pumps. That is the main reason I stick with them.

Comments