Lum Lum, the Kacang Putih Man

I always have some doubts about the 'kacang putih' we used to have as our snack.
By the way, nobody told me why they name it 'kacang putih'.
As a kid, i grew up in a squatter settlement, we used to see this indian man balancing the kacang putih box (it's in fact a square stool at table height, instead of a flat top, it is a wooden box with many compartments to contain the different types of kacang) on his head, announcing his arrival loud as he walk along the paths through our village.
The boys and girls our age (anything below 5) usually have fun playing 'tiew bai bai' (you chase around skipping on one leg, try to catch the others running on two, whoever got caught has to do the catching) in the evening, when our pakcik comes along.
I don't know his name, but we used to address him as 'lum lum', because he always treat us to free chickpeas known to us as 'lum lum'. Of course Mr lumlum never set the age limit for free 'lum lum', but any kid lower than his kacang stool, gets a few peas. Everyone else has to pay, Yeah, the price: 5 sen for one small paper cone fill to the brim with any type of 'kacang putih' .
Mr lumlum used to sell about 5 types of kacang;
1. dry fried peanuts with salt
2. soft boiled chickpeas('lum lum', for soft in cantonese)
3. roasted dhall
4. roasted chickpeas
5. peanuts with frosted sugar (this is the only kacang that looks 'putih' to me)
I never get bored always trying to take a peek at the five compartments filled with 'kacang putih', Mr lumlum too, is also generous enough to pick us up, one after another, so that short kids like me can get to look at the 'unreachable' treasure box.
yes, he did it every evening.
And then he continued on his business route...we continue skipping...
Couldn't recall when Mr lumlum stopped walking by anymore, I heard from the grownups, he passed away. Even before I grew tall enough to look into the 'treasure box' without his help, and also to pay 5 sen for my 'lum lum'.
Till now i still remember the Indian man with the loving and kind face, everytime I pay RM2 for a bag of 'lum lum' at the 'kacang putih-on-motorbike stall'.
They don't make the paper cones anymore, the taste of 'lum lum' is more or less the same, but days are so different now.....am I growing old, I think.

Comments