Long Lost HAKKA Ginger duck

Mum used to cook this dish for special occasions, i don't know how different it is from other Hokkien or Teochiew style ginger duck, BUT i do remember this as a speciality from my mum.

When I get married, I described the recipe to wife, and voila, she managed to do it in another 1st-class of her own.



This ginger duck, named 'Geong-Ngar-Ngap', obviously has to have plenty of Geong-Ngar (young ginger) slices. Oh yes, lots of them, I can even just eat the ginger with two big plates of rice even without touching the duck meat.


Another important ingredient is the taucu. You don't simply get any taucu from any kedai runcit, it has to be the old traditional type from China (those in black clay pots one).

Oh yes, when you used the good taucu, the gravy ends up as a nice crystalline sauce, aromatic and tasty.

Ya, I had this dish for my wedding anniversary. Thanks to my great wife.

Comments