THE DEVIL GETTING THE BETTER OF ME.

I consider myself lucky.

With every festive season around the corner, i couldn't help thinking about many, many fellowmen who weren't as lucky. I may think of our country as a land blessed with lots of resources, with a climate where no one needs to die in the COLD.

When you go about town, the countryside, everywhere, you are bound to witness people still not having enough to put into their mouth. I did the most I could to help. But THE MOST I could do merely extended to those that my arms could reach.

Unfairness and unethicality( where people are being deprived of adequate food and chances to grow) occurs when you have govt authorities/ systems that are:
A. INEFFICIENT

B. IGNORANT

C. BLIND

I learned as a kid, that :
a. you allow poverty and famine to propagate when you aren't 'EFFICIENT' enough as a govt.

b. you are guilty of conspiracy when you are 'Ignorant' towards the 'INEFFICIENCY' of the system in place.

c. you condone crime when you turn a 'BLIND EYE' on the happenings around you (and the ignorance in you).

There are other ways to address problems at the root of them. I told myself.

THAT IS: TO NAG THE AUTHORITIES

I was the one, instead, to get nagged by friends: Hi Woody, you are way into middle age, you have done your plow, earn a substantial income, live a good life. Why do you need to spare your time and money doing this? If only you could be a little bit more Selfish and Self-centered, you could actually join our crowd, and go yachting, skiing, parachuting, whatever.

'WHY DO YOU EVEN WASTE YOUR BREATH AND TIME BLOGGING ON THE WEB, COMPLAINING ABOUT THE GOVT THIS AND THAT?'

HOW TRUE.

Once every blue moon, i would wake up from my sleep, face the bathroom mirror and .... I saw a fool. Yeah, That little devil in me came creeping up my spine and whispered into my ears:

" Look at you. You have enough to go on a world tour, you can even make use of your blogging time to do more for money in return. Why the heck are you so bothered about THE GOVT BEING CORRUPTED AND NOT DOING MUCH TO HELP THE POOR?."

Yeah. After all it's not me who is starving. It's not me who cannot afford a nice, cosy home. WHY BOTHER? I have nothing to benefit from this 'WASTE OF TIME AND BREATH', (except to convince myself that there is going to be a Karma Points Appraisal system after life).

And who cares about after life, when you see with your own eyes, that fellow Malaysians are in fact starving by the minute, NOW (and maybe for another 50 years down the line)? The devil said.

It is only people like jlkow, victorchew, ahvincent, ngguanhuah, royleeken, kevin_david, lakshmiregu, bobocheah, Belacan, Alitstar, Aput83 and many more who have managed to make it in life, who have the spare time to hesitate and remind the govt of its misdoings, to voice opinions and show some concern towards the underprivileged.

These are the people who felt that the govt could do a lot more to make the country happier for EVERYONE.

We who have gone thru our prime years with sweat and blood, could only expect that the nagging have some effect on the attitude and conscience of those at the helm, thereby nudging them to act a little more for the benefit of our new generations as a whole. Then we stand up and yell joyfully: 1Malaysia.

(To know that all complaints have fallen on deaf ears, or being continuously shot down by people who beg to differ, it really doesn't hurt me too much, when I decide to HEED THE DEVIL'S ADVICE, and refrain from 'wasting my breath' on things that doesn't benefit me a bit [ monetary terms, for that matter] ).

Let not The Devil Win.


Comments